About this Class:
In this class, Chic Brushes to Make and Sell, you will be guided step-by-step through the process of producing a chic floral design brush set. We will travel from initial brush creation to composition of an artwork using the brushes and finally to creation of a pattern swatch. In this class, you will learn how to thoroughly use the potential of Adobe Illustrator custom brushes.
This course will arm you with all the knowledge necessary for moving into Part 2: Selling Your Brush Set on Creative Market to add to your passive income streams. These brushes are ideal to be added to many artist’s assets libraries: they can use them to make an abundance of unique designs! Using these chic brushes in outline or white-filled versions, you can see the illustrative artwork truly emerge wondrously!
This Chic Brushes to Use and Sell class is suitable for designers with some knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and who want to learn additional techniques, though basic brush construction is reinforced. For those wanting detailed introductory lessons or a refresher first, please check out my earlier classes such as Fake a Watercolor, Part 1, or Textural Floral Pattern Design. My class, Extraordinary Brushes, is also chock full of brush construction information.
My end-game with the classes I teach is to build true Illustrator competence. For this class, you will need the Illustrator software, or similar programs which offer the same capabilities. I’m eager to guide you on your quest for true Illustrator literacy, so let’s get started!
The verbal guidance and demonstrations will help you learn all the necessary foundational skills that can be applied to so many of your imminent design projects. Whether you are a newcomer to design or illustration, or an adept and practiced designer, you are sure to learn techniques that are obscure!
In this class, we will go through specific concepts in 7 lessons that cover:
- Using brushes in Illustrator for creating even more complex art brushes
- Working with tools in a unique way
- Using the Live Paint features to quickly make fills
- Introduction to the new simplify and join tools in Illustrator 2020
- Using the pathfinder palette and working with compound paths
- Creating a pattern tile in Illustrator and ensuring the repeat works.
You will get the bonus of…
- over 60 minutes of direction from an instructor who has been in the graphic design business and education for over 40 years
- knowledge of multiple ways to solve each design challenge
- A FREE brush or two to play with in creating your art in Illustrator.
- a list of helpful online sites to further your education into surface pattern design.
The outcome of my class is for you to create this project and try out my methods. Feel free to participate in the free guidance I offer while sharing in the projects section. Get involved in the process and benefit from the constructive advice and support of fellow artists! Whether you are new to surface pattern design or an accomplished master, learning to make brush sets for future sale is another one of the cornerstone competency skills for Illustrator. So, let’s get motivated! Start the Chic Brush Sets to Make and Sell NOW!
- Intro to Chic Brushes to Sell (2:06)
- Lesson 1 Planning and Inspiration (5:24)
- Lesson 2 Perfecting the Brushes (10:42)
- Lesson 3 Filling Using Live Paint (6:36)
- Lesson 4 Compound Paths (12:51)
- Lesson 5 - Finalizing Additional Brushes (5:59)
- Lesson 6 Exporting and Testing the Brush Set (11:45)
- Lesson 7 Using the Brush Set for Pattern Design (7:23)
- Lesson 8 Wrap Up and Preview of Part 2 (7:30)