Intro to Christmas Art licensing Proposal Demo
About This Class
Art licensing work is a bread-and-butter job for most graphic designers, and the process is surprisingly manageable. The objective for this class is to witness and learn the real process, from concept to print. This class is only about 1 hour long, and in the hour you will learn how an experienced designer would take on the challenge of creating a seasonal Christmas line of products, beginning with illustration and ending with mock-ups for several products. I literally go through this real-world process with you, as this is a project I am currently working on.
With that in mind, this project is one of the most delightful examples of seasonal content for Christmas. Learning a few skills with insider tidbits, you can easily pull this off! I use Procreate for most of this class, with the last lesson on mock-ups done in Photoshop. This is my preference, but you can definitely do the entire project in Procreate if you so choose. I will teach you how I go about fulfilling the requests of a client. This class is suitable for someone who has design skills and a basic understanding of Procreate, so let’s plunge in and get this project started!
In this class I’ll walk you through:
- my step-by-step method for taking a seasonal artwork and applying it to different products
- tips for creating compositions for a varied and appealing design using brushes
- my workflow for use of layers and other great features like snapping
- adjusting designs to perfect the flow and adding elements in the second iteration of the design
- methods for keeping the design fully editable for later adjustments and/or recoloring
If you’re an aspiring designer with a good basic knowledge of Procreate, you’ll be able to go through all the steps. This class will benefit anyone who wishes to simplify creation of designs for art licensing.
The key concepts I will include:
- review of my methods and adjustments in Procreate, including the use of adjustments like hue and saturation and curves
- a look at Procreate layering techniques and the use of masks and clipping masks
- approaches you can take in your creative work
This is an ideal class for you, even if you are not sure what you will use the art for, whether it be the design for products you will sell for POD, or to submit for art licensing! Learning new Procreate workflows is always desirable. I guarantee you will create something really appealing. It’s like doing a puzzle, and you will get the hang of it after a little bit of practice!
Your project for today’s class is to create a seasonal artwork. It doesn’t need to be for Christmas. Pick any season and try to come up with motifs that could complement it. Also, create a quick plaid to use as a background or border. I can visualize a cute pink and soft blues and green plaid border for Easter or spring! Now create an appealing product. Start with something simple like a mug or a floor mat. Good luck and have fun with it. You will now have a wonderful new piece for your portfolio.
Once complete, try using it on a mock-up and navigate to the community by hitting the community icon (double word balloon) at lower right to post your project to share with your classmates.