What you will learn:
This class, Building a Robust Asset Studio in Affinity Designer, is the first in a second 3-part series to introduce you the Asset Studio and the creation of an intricate, layered, multi-faceted illustration. This class will illustrate the use of a symbol to create a symmetrical mirrored layout. I will be using a butterfly image as inspiration, and I will show you tons of inpiration. We create a bunch of flowers as well as other assets we deem usable for our final illustration. This first class in the series explores multiple methods for creating these assets. Of course, I am going to tie in plenty of tips and tricks to make it challenging for you. The great thing is, by the end of the class, you will all the info you need to produce assets of your own to fill your Asset Studio.
I take you step-by-step through the whole process of auto-tracing as well, and I cover 3 methods for doing so, all free. Auto tracing is the basis for adding originally raster images, such as those done in Procreate, to your Affinity Designer Asset Studio as vectors. The Asset Studio is what makes the production of a series, or collection, attainable. The cool thing is that we can use the Asset Studio any time we open a new document. It travels with the program, and I will show you how to accomplish that. At the end of the three classes, you will have a professional illustration that can not only be enlarge beautifully, but could also be the start of a beautiful collection for you.
In this class I’ll walk you through:
- my step-by-step method for auto tracing with Adobe Capture
- free programs such as Vectornator and online converter to vectorize
- how to use clipping masks to add textures to your assets
- creating vector pattern files to add to your assets
- ayering, color and design considerations
This class will reinforce everything you have learned thus far with Affinity, and my guidance will help you through any challenges that crop up. I strongly believe the class will benefit anyone looking to add vector illustration to their list of skills and accomplishments.
The key concepts I will include:
- thinking and planning ahead when faced with a challenging project
- pre-planning that will make the production of assets possible
- efficiency with all aspects of vector art production
Learning another Affinity Designer skill is valuable, even if you are not sure what you will use the vector art for! Learning vector software workflows is essential in our profession and are deeply important for you to learn. We will do it, step-by-step, and this class will further reinforce all the Affinity Designer theory which is difficult to learn in isolation.
Concepts covered include but are not limited to the Affinity Designer Asset Studio, Affinity Designer Vector Persona, Affinity Designer Raster Persona, layering, Affinity Designer Symbol Studio, Affinity Designer Transform Studio, Affinity Designer canvas settings, importing and applying textures, Affinity Designer composites, Affinity Designer Color Studio, shapes, color swatches and importing colors, texture fills, and much more.
You will get the bonus of…
- 71 minutes of direction from an instructor who has been in graphic design business and education for over 40 years
- knowledge of multiple ways to solve each design challenge
- introduction to a new illustration technique
With today’s project, I’d like to see you create a great collection of assets you can see using for this project and many more. Take and convert some of the symbols you created in the last two classes. Follow all the instructions in the classes to try each technique and judge what is the most efficient for you.
Once complete, try using it on a mock-up and navigate to the community by hitting the community icon (double word balloon) at lower right to post your project and share with your classmates.
- Intro to Affinity Designer Robust Asset Creation (1:36)
- Lesson 1 Examples, Inspiration, Overview (8:15)
- Lesson 2 Using the Asset Interface Overview (9:27)
- Lesson 3 Raster and Vector Pattern Import (12:19)
- Lesson 4 Flowers in Procreate vs Affinity (11:48)
- Lesson 5 Other Asset Creation Strategies (13:50)
- Lesson 6 Rounding Out Our Asset Collection (11:21)
- Lesson 7 Game Plan for Next Class and Wrap Up (2:16)