About this class:
‘Tis the season, am I right? It’s not like we need to look at a calendar. Wherever we go we see holiday decorations, hear holiday music, see holiday cards, and we are inundated with ideas for gift giving. Love it or hate it, it is a fact of life. Look at all those products out there! What does that tell me? Wellllll… to me it means there is room for one more artist creating and selling holiday products. It could be YOU!
Coming up with projects for the holiday season is not hard to do. I have been working on Holiday Photo Cards, but I was also interested in producing Holiday Greeting cards, hence this class Christmas Joy Greeting Card in Procreate. What I like about the project from the class is how attainable it is. I pack the class with ideas and bonus brushes, and I have also developed a full kit for anyone who is interested. It is free with any other purchase from my artist resources.
Did you know these facts about the holiday card business?
Americans purchase approximately 6.5 billion greeting cards each year. Annual retail sales of greeting cards are estimated between $7 and $8 billion.
Nine out of every ten households buy greeting cards each year.
Sales of holiday-based cards have increased. 75% of consumers who send holiday cards say they do so because they know how good it feels when they receive one.
Of all the ideas that I can give you for POD sales, this one might be the most accessible to those of you just starting out on your earning journey. Why? Firstly, because a 5x7 card does not take as much time to create as many other projects. Secondly, there are ready paths for sales that don’t require a portfolio, years of experience and a licensing deal. You could be making cards and listing them for sale on the same day. It may take a while to get traction on sales, but once you do, it could be a steady stream of income for you.
In this class I’ll walk you through:
- my step-by-step method for working with the brushes I provide or that you already own
- tips for creating compositions for a layered mixed-media look
- my workflow for use of layers, clipping masks and blending modes
- adjusting colors and using functions such as warp
- adding glitter details and other enhancements to the components
- methods to keep the art editable for adjustments and recoloring and substituting backgrounds
Learning layout techniques will give you a challenging and satisfying new set of skills. With greeting cards, the sky is the limit. Do some research and you will see that anything goes. Eventually you will build an audience. I can’t wait to see what you produce!
Concepts covered include but are not limited to Procreate design, layering and grouping, Procreate brush stamp manipulation, Procreate canvas settings, brush adjustments, clipping masks and blending modes, layer masking, Procreate snapping and guides, mixed media in Procreate, adding a mixed media artwork for a background, sizing of documents and brushes, adding texture with brushes, Procreate brushes for adding other interesting details, workflow best practices, painting best practice, Procreate composites, techniques with paints and blending, and much more.
You will get the bonus of…
- 60 minutes of direction from an instructor who has been in graphic design business and education for over 40 years
- knowledge of multiple ways to solve each design challenge
- an outline, a brush set, color palettes
- Intro to Christmas Joy Greeting Card in Procreate (2:17)
- Lesson 1 Lettering Set Up and Cut Paper Effect (9:06)
- Lesson 2 Shadows for Cut Paper Effect (9:13)
- Lesson 3 Adding the Wreathe Details (7:05)
- Lesson 4 Dress Up Ideas for the Motifs (10:03)
- Lesson 5 The Icing on the Cake (8:18)
- Lesson 6 Additional Background Ideas (11:16)
- Lesson 7 Wrap Up, Mock Up and Conclusion (2:41)