About this Class
Creating a variety of different pattern repeat types is an excellent skillset to have if you are interested in surface pattern design. In this class, I will be showing you how to create another variant of a full drop repeat. This time, we will create a symmetrical diamond repeat pattern in Procreate. We’re going to explore what makes a good symmetrical diamond pattern and you will see it from the sketching stage right through to the finished repeat. I will be showing you how you can also create a variant with an alternate motif. This class, Create a Textural Diamond Repeat Pattern in Procreate, will show you my steps to produce a complete swatch which can be uploaded to sites like Spoonflower or Society6. In the class, I take you from start to finish in creating this complete swatch.
One of my goals is to show you how we’ll be able to create an alternate motif to add variety. With a diamond repeat, you can go crazy and have many different diamonds. I am providing you with a bunch of brushes and the color scheme I used.
In this class I’ll walk you through:
- working with symmetry tools in Procreate
- tips for creating compositions for a layered and textural folk art motif
- my workflow for use of layers and blending modes for shading and highights
- adjusting colors and using the curves settings
- adding texture using brushes
- methods for keeping the art fully editable for later adjustments
Do you like this type of pattern repeat? Do you need a little help with the initial set-up? Well, this class should get you going. With the provided assets and the step-by-step instructions, you’ll produce your first of many diamond repeat patterns.
The key concepts I will include:
- review of my pattern design methodology
- a look at compositional strategies to lay out your work in an interesting way
- approaches you can take for creating different iterations of your design
Learning to make all the different types of repeat patterns will give you a challenging yet satisfying new set of skills. You will find that this is an interesting way to work on patterns and makes total sense. I can’t wait to see what you produce!
Concepts covered include but are not limited to Procreate design, Procreate diamond repeat patterns, Procreate noise settings, layering, transparency, Procreate canvas settings, brush adjustments, clipping masks and blending modes, Procreate snapping and guides, Procreate symmetry, hue and saturation adjustments in Procreate, testing repeats, alternate motifs in the diamond repeat, adding texture with brushes, procreate brushes for adding other interesting details, workflow best practices, painting best practice, Procreate composites, techniques with paints and blend modes, and much more.
You will get the bonus of…
- 57 minutes of direction from an instructor who has been in graphic design business and education for over 40 years
- knowledge of multiple ways to solve each design challenge
- an outline, a brush set, a mixed media background and a color palette
To create this pattern, first work on the sketch. Remember to keep in mind how the pieces will fit together and how you can possibly create an alternate motif. Keep the color scheme fairly monochromatic for this first attempt. Use textural brushes to make the whole piece as rich as possible. Enjoy the process! You will learn so much by experimenting, so don’t rush. I would even suggest duplicating your artwork to try two vastly different motifs as I demonstrated in the lessons.
- Intro to Create a Textural Diamond Repeat Pattern in Procreate (1:23)
- Lesson 1 Inspiration, Examples and Overview (9:23)
- Lesson 2 Inking and Coloring the Motifs (7:59)
- Lesson 3 Adding Texture, Highlights and Shadows (8:02)
- Lesson 4 Additional Details to Add Interest (8:03)
- Lesson 5 First Testing of the Pattern (8:16)
- Lesson 6 Create the Alternate Motif and Test (7:40)
- Lesson 7 Mockups, Debrief and Wrap Up (1:04)