About this Class
On the surface, gouache (pronounced ‘gwash’) and watercolor seem confusingly similar. Gouache is a member of the watermedia family and can absolutely be used like watercolor. However, in this class, Monochromatic Textural Gouache Floral in Procreate, we will create the flat style digital gouache painting style reminiscent of 70’s advertising. This style is really oh so popular right now, and we will do it in Procreate! You'll learn the basics of the flat digital gouache digital painting style and how to create a chunky, bold floral artwork. To make this even more fun and challenging, we will create it all in one color!
There are a dozen Procreate gouache paint brushes included with your enrollment, so you can follow along with every video. I have even included 5 floral outline brushes to jumpstart your sketch if you need them. Nothing beats traditional painting and those happy accidents that can happen with gouache. Digital painting can be equally fun, therapeutic and relaxing, and it can really up your illustration game. Restricting yourself to one color is a fun challenge too because there is no way your artwork’s color scheme cannot work. Start painting your own custom and beautifully textured gouache floral today!
This class, Monochromatic Textural Gouache Floral in Procreate, will show you some of my illustration and color choice methodology. In the class, I take you from start to finish in creating a complete illustration. One of my goals is to show you how you can sell your work once it is created. We explore the Society 6 website and important considerations in sizing your art.
In this class I’ll walk you through:
- creating a sketch to guide us with the painting
- manipulating layers to be as efficient as possible
- my workflow for use of layers and other great features like snapping
- working with a monochromatic color scheme
- methods for keeping the art fully editable for later adjustments and recoloring
Join me in this class to paint a gouache illustration on your iPad in Procreate. I am going to walk you through all the steps to creating a digital gouache painting and you’ll learn all the skills you need to make more artwork in the future with this style.
The key concepts I will include:
- layering techniques
- how to clean up and perfect your art
- what to do with your art when it is complete
This is an ideal class for you, even if you are not sure what you will use the art for, uploading to a POD site or whatever! Learning new Procreate workflows is always desirable. I guarantee you will create something really appealing, and it’s so much fun, once you get the hang of it!
- Intro Gouache Paint in Procreate (0:07)
- Lesson 1 Overview and Ideas to Spark Creativity (10:20)
- Lesson 2 Blocking in the Flower Shapes (6:43)
- Lesson 3 Adding Color to the Motifs (6:33)
- Lesson 4 Completing the Full Coloring Process (6:18)
- Lesson 5 Creating Consitent Spacing Around Flowers (2:40)
- Lesson 6 Uploading to Society 6 and Mockups (8:40)
- Lesson 7 Wrap Up, Next Steps and Mock Ups (2:51)