About this Class
Learning to adjust the scale on a pattern is not overly difficult, but it is a challenge to combine a bunch of patterns effectivelyI I put this class together to practice just that! And what better a way to do it than on a quilt? Another super-fun thing about this class is that you will get to play with and make your very own two-color brushes! I provide a master so that you can simply replace the grain with patterns you already have. Don’t worry! I take you through the whole process step-by-step. I spent months working on this brush!
You will love the fact that you can create these brushes then specify the two colors right on the color wheel. I am demonstrating it using “pressure” as the variable that changes from the primary to the secondary color. I think it will be fun for you to experiment with all the settings, and I give you some tips for doing that throughout the class.
This class, Create a Quilt with 2 Color Pattern Brushes, will show you some of strategies for experimentation, and quick ways to make the brushes from existing or newly created patterns. In the class, I take you from start to finish in creating a full patchwork quilt illustration, notably with stitching details we apply at the end to make it super realistic! The template I provide is all separated out complete with the built-in clipping masks. I use this method to be sure the pattern areas that we’ll be creating are completely editable. The main attraction of this class is definitely creating and using the two-color brushes to create these pattern areas.
In this class I’ll walk you through:
- my step-by-step method for creating quick patterns
- tips for creating brushes that will co-ordinate well with each other
- my workflow for use of layers and other great features like clipping masks
- adjusting pattern size (grain), colors, and values to create a pleasing arrangement
- methods for keeping the art fully editable for later adjustments and recoloring
If you have a good basic knowledge of Procreate, you’ll be able to go through all the steps really easily. This class will benefit anyone who loves to work with pattern and needs help visualizing how scale and values contribute to the over-all success of a finished quilt (illustration).
The key concepts I will include:
- review of my new two-color brush set-up
- a look at design and composition when dealing with combined patterns
- approaches you can take to stay organized
Even if you are not sure what you will use the finished quilt illustration for, you will get much satisfaction from this project! You will love the new brush ideas I give you in class today. I guarantee you will create something amazing, and it’s so easy , once you get the hang of it!
Concepts covered include but are not limited to judging scale and value of combined patterns, Procreate design, Procreate Patterns with brushes, 2 color brushes with a dual brush, layering, creating a quick pattern based on a ceramic tile pattern, Procreate canvas settings, Procreate snapping and guides, the Brush Studio in Procreate, adjusting grain size of brushes, sizing of documents and brushes, compositions with brush stamps, adding texture with brushes, procreate brushes for adding other interesting details, workflow best practices, painting best practice, Procreate composites, techniques with paints and blending, and much more.
You will get the bonus of…
- 66 minutes of direction from an instructor who has been in graphic design business and education for over 40 years
- knowledge of multiple ways to solve each design challenge
- an outline, a brush set, color palettes and a re-usable template
Challenge yourself today and download and install the Procreate brushes provided to get started on your very own quilt. Use the template provided or make your own. Try to create at least 2 new patterns for brushes, following the directions in class. Work through each of the lessons, applying the concepts as I teach them. Experiment with changing settings on the brushes provided. Just remember to duplicate the assets first!
- Intro to Create a Quilt with 2 Color Pattern Brushes (1:44)
- Lesson 1 Inspiration and Overview of Objectives (6:47)
- Lesson 2 Creating the Two Color Brushes (8:36)
- Lesson 3 Let's Talk About Contrast (8:02)
- Lesson 4 Design a Quick and Easy Blender Print (12:31)
- Lesson 5 Creating a Leafy Pattern (12:59)
- Lesson 6 Applying All of the Stitched Details (4:55)
- Lesson 7 Debriefing, Mock Ups and Wrap Up (1:27)