About this Class
The joy of journaling is something I have been wanting to share with all of you, so I decided to create this series. This in the third Art Journalling class and in this one, I show you how I use a ton of ephemera. I will explain in detail how to source free ephemera and how to incorporate it into an interesting background. I will guide you through drawing some simple leaves on branches to use as interesting features of the collage-type artwork we create.
This class, Ephemera and A Hand Drawn Journal Art Page in Procreate, will show you some of my illustration and pattern design methodology, and ways to use brushes to create a background, but it is more than that. In the class, we will study the work of other art journaling artists and try to apply some of what we observe. I speak to good composition throughout the class. I break down each step so it is bite-sized and so that it leaves plenty of room for your interpretations. Here is a project that lets you freely experiment with brush sets and textures you already have on hand, and a few I will give you (naturally).
A key component of this class is lettering. I will show you how to create the “ransom note” look with a display typeface. We will individually change each letter. Once we have most of the rest of the layout done, I also will show you several ways to add additional details to really make the type “pop”. Some of the techniques may be familiar to you, but you are sure to learn a lot more.
In this class I’ll walk you through:
- my step-by-step method for creating ransom note text
- tips for creating compositions that will work in a journal
- my workflow to illustrating a casual and simple branch and then making a brush from it
- adjusting colors and textures to make the Peek-a-Boo technique effective
- methods for keeping the art fully editable for adjustments with hue and saturation or recoloring
If you’re an avid art journalling artist and have a decent basic knowledge of Procreate, you’ll be able to produce an eye-catching 2 page spread. You will learn more about typography as well as how to incorporate that display type into a layout such as this.
The key concepts I will include:
- review of background build-up techniques
- a look at the Peek-a-Boo technique for unifying the layout
- approaches you can take to make this piece truly original
You will enjoy this class as it is a technique you can use in so many projects! Learning new Procreate workflows can open doors that were previously unopened. I guarantee you will create something intricate and interesting, and it’s so forgiving. You almost can’t go wrong!
- Intro to Ephemera and Hand Drawn Journal Page (1:25)
- Lesson 1 Inspiration and Overview (12:54)
- Lesson 2 Setting Up the Display Type (9:01)
- Lesson 3 Creating a Ransom Note Quote (8:00)
- Lesson 4 Loose Technique Line Art Leaves (7:32)
- Lesson 5 Make Brushes and Use Existing Brushes (12:33)
- Lesson 6 Unifying with The Peekaboo Technique (9:39)
- Lesson 7 Finessing the Finishing Touches (9:48)
- Lesson 8 Adding Detail to the Lettering (9:10)
- Lesson 9 The Final Layout Debriefing (5:14)
- Lesson 10 Conclusion and Wrap Up (1:26)
Try any of these classes as well to get more information about mixed media art in Procreate.